Re: ot: kx-p1124i configuration

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, May 7, 2021 6:45 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Friday 07 May 2021 07:10:16 fxkl47BF wrote:
>
> > a friend gave me a panasonic kx-p1124i. the printer works ok and i
> > have it connected with a parallel cable. i configured it with cups to
> > use "Driver: Panasonic KX-P1124 Foomatic/epson (recommended)
> > (grayscale)". it prints garbage. i downloaded the ppd file recommended
> > at openprinting.org and still get garbage. suggestions are
> > appreciated.
>
> You may not be able to on hat old a printer unless the driver can be
> configured to hold the port data valid until the printer acks the strobe
> signal.
>
> That printer has fcc required noise filters in its input socket which
> restricts the data speed, and if the port doesn't hold the data until
> the printer acks it, at least 2 microseconds, its going to print
> garbage. BTDT, gave up and used the slower serial port the printer also
> had. You need a 1284 rated cable, and a printer port that can do EPP
> mode, not always supported by mobo hardware.
>
> I could be wrong, but it sure smells like this.

i checked the port and it is set to epp
excuse me if i ramble a bit
i create a file with one word 'hello' followed  by a newline and a carriage return
the content of the file in hex is 68 65 6C 6C 6F 0A 0C
if i print the file with cat file > /dev/lp0 i get "helloJL"
capital J is 0x0a plus 0x40, capital L is 0x0c plus 0x40
0x0a and 0x0c are control characters
where and why are they being converted to printable characters