Re: ot: kx-p1124i configuration

On Friday 07 May 2021 07:10:16 fxkl47BF wrote:

> a friend gave me a panasonic kx-p1124i. the printer works ok and i
> have it connected with a parallel cable. i configured it with cups to
> use "Driver: Panasonic KX-P1124 Foomatic/epson (recommended)
> (grayscale)". it prints garbage. i downloaded the ppd file recommended
> at openprinting.org and still get garbage. suggestions are
> appreciated.

You may not be able to on hat old a printer unless the driver can be
configured to hold the port data valid until the printer acks the strobe
signal.

That printer has fcc required noise filters in its input socket which
restricts the data speed, and if the port doesn't hold the data until
the printer acks it, at least 2 microseconds, its going to print
garbage. BTDT, gave up and used the slower serial port the printer also
had.  You need a 1284 rated cable, and a printer port that can do EPP
mode, not always supported by mobo hardware.

I could be wrong, but it sure smells like this.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis