Re: exim update not responding to update-rc.d

On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 01:46:29PM -0700, John Conover wrote:

> Try:
>
>     man update-rc.d
>     man 8 update-rc.d

Please stop top-posting, and please reply to the list.

> Greg Wooledge writes:
> > On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 01:27:56PM -0700, John Conover wrote:
> > > As per the man page for System V init, to disable launching of exim:
> > >
> > >     update-rc.d -f exim remove
> >
> > What man page is this allegedly from, exactly?

unicorn:~$ man update-rc.d | grep exim
unicorn:~$ man 8 update-rc.d | grep exim
unicorn:~$

I asked what man page it's from, because whatever man page is saying
that the name of the init.d script for exim4 is "exim" needs to be
fixed.  It's obviously "exim4", and a competent sysadmin would verify
this by LOOKING IN THE DIRECTORY.

But I'm getting the impression that this is *not* in fact a direct quote
from any Debian man page, but rather, a failed assumption on the part of
the OP.