Re: Debian statistics about the contributing entities?

On Sat, May 01, 2021 at 02:57:28PM +0200, Marco Möller wrote:
> Hello,
> Do we have for Debian some statistics about who (companies, institutions,
> universities, private volunteers, ...) are contributing to Debian, i.e. as
> package maintainers, admins, maybe Debian specific code programmers, and
> alike? I found the list of the Debian Developers, but this is only names not
> indicating which company (money) might be behind the names. Maybe this is
> summarized in a statistics about funding or sponsoring or supporters of the
> Debian project?
> I recently saw statistics about who contributes to the Linux kernel (private
> volunteers summarized as a group vs the 20 most lines of code contributing
> companies by their name), which kind of shows its independence (or not) from
> singular commercial players and am now curious if there is some alike data
> about Debian available.
> Thanks! Marco.

Debian is primarily a community project made up of volunteers. Some of us
are in full time employment but there's a huge range of contributors and
a wider range of users.

Debian is, effectively, a non-profit organisation. We're associated with
the US Software in the Public Interest umbrella organisation that manages
funds for many different projects: we also have generous sponsorship in
hardware, money or services from various organisations especially for
the annual Debian conference [DebConf] and several mini conferences
[MiniConf].

Not sure we can break down who is who other than the fact that there
are nominally 1018 Debian developers eligible to vote and lots more
Debian maintainers.

This may not be much help to you, but it's a start :)

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater