Re: how to use fetchmail with MS Office 365 / davmail?

On 01-05-2021 18:19, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 01 May 2021 09:28:04 +0200
> deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Joe wrote:
>>
>> > I know someone who started to be shown online adverts that could
>> > only have been based on a sound-wave conversation within the
>> > hearing of his smartphone. I don't know about other similar claims,
>> > but I trust his.
>> >
>> > Are you saying that you don't believe anyone could be that naughty?
>> > Go look up 'superfish' and 'lenovo' if you're not aware of the
>> > incident, and that was years ago. I don't believe that advertisers
>> > consider any kind of non-lethal behaviour to be unethical.
>>
>> People can state anything, but it is not necessary true.
>>
>> However if you have enabled some kind of assistant like Alexa, Siri or
>> whatever they are called, it could be that they are indeed spying on
>> you. Again to make such a statement means you need to provide
>> evidence.
>>
>> Some state their brainwaves are being influenced by whatever (video,
>> tv, wireless) It could be true, but there is no evidence and the
>> probability of this being true is very low.
>
> At the moment, yes. But there are regular announcements of brain wave
> measurements being used by e.g. disabled people to allow some control
> of things. Do you doubt for a moment that researchers around the world
> are studying brain waves with a view to at least surveillance of
> thoughts, if not control, of for weaponry?
>>
>> I am writing this and asking you to start checking facts and stop
>> believing.
>>

> Facts have become extremely difficult to come by. Almost every
> potential supplier of 'facts' has his own agenda and cannot be trusted
> to be honest. Even universities, which used to carry out research just
> for the sake of it (e.g. Faraday, Davy etc.) are now mostly sponsored
> by businesses and cannot be trusted to be unbiased. Everything has been
> made political, and there is nobody who does not have their own
> political beliefs and agendas. We users and writers of free software
> certainly do.
>
> I work on the basis that if something underhanded and unethical can be
> done and can provide some political or financial return, it *will* be
> done until it is discovered and measures are put in place to prevent it
> happening, if indeed that ever occurs. Manufacturers *have* been caught
> eavesdropping on people in their homes, and said that these occasions
> were 'accidental', or for quality control purposes, or some such. Some
> even admit to targeting advertising:
>
> https://www.techwalls.com/samsung-smart-tv-eavesdropping-company-admits/
>
> 'Here’s what Samsung says to warn you, at least:
>
> “Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other
> sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured
> and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice
> Recognition.”'
>
> Such manufacturers say that voice facilities can be turned off to
> [...]

Personal information is the new currency: fact!
Social media organisations do not fund large server banks, and employ
serious numbers of sys. admins, supplying a 24/7 service to supply you
with your own personal sandpit to play in, for free: fact!
Samsung only came out with that warning after they were caught: fact!
Build your own routers because most manufactured ones have suspect
firmware: fact!
Agents from 3 letter government departments have been involved in
Microsoft's programming department for decades: fact!

There are many other examples, and the trend is obvious.
Anybody who refuses to observe the traffic deserves to get run over.
Cheers!

Harry
--
`Women fall in love with what they hear,
men fall in love with what they see,