Re: how to use fetchmail with MS Office 365 / davmail?

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 20:42:17 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu 29 Apr 2021 at 14:21:22 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > BTW I'm not really a luddite [1]. I'd consider a smart phone if I
> > had a comparable control over its guts as I have of my laptop, take
> > or give. Those options are, alas, a tad to pricey for my current
> > income.
>
> I inagine you might feel the same way about tvs and washing machines.

Why would he? I'm pretty sure there's no camera in the drum of my new
washing machine, so all it can report is how often the various wash
cycles are run. I have no problem with that, nor do I wish to reprogram
it. And while it cost as much as a reasonably good smartphone, it is
orders of magnitude more useful.

I do have a smartphone, donated by a family member who gets through
them fairly quickly. But it's not mine, it's owned by Google, so
there's nothing personal stored on it apart from a few phone numbers. I
have a netbook for the times when I need a computer outside my house,
smartphones are just toys. I do also have a small (second-hand) tablet
which I was hoping to use as a portable computer, but it cannot manage
to run apache2 and mariadb at the same time. It can, perhaps
surprisingly, do either of them individually.

TVs are another matter. Mine will tell nobody about my choice of
viewing material because it's about ten years old. But when we
inevitably replace it and have no choice about accepting a 'smart' TV,
it still will know nothing about me, because only my wife watches it.
Again, it's of much more use to her than her smartphone.

We are aware that smartphones and the hypothetical 'smart' TV will
listen to conversations occurring in their vicinities, so we go
somewhere else for any private conversation.

--
Joe