Re: how to use fetchmail with MS Office 365 / davmail?

On 29/04/2021 13:11, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Dystopian is right.  Our organization, using O365, has moved to
> "multi-factor authentication" without consultation and I can no longer
> use gnus, for instance.  Absolutely horrible.

Ask your administrator to enable "Per Application Passwords" -
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/user-help/multi-factor-authentication-end-user-app-passwords

The idea here is that, if a human is logging in, they still provide two
factors (something they know and something they have) via the TOTP
mechanism. But for automated access, where an application is logging in
on behalf of that user, the user generates a long one-off password ONLY
for that application. This works a bit like an API key - password #1 is
for gnus on laptop 1, password #2 is for Fetchmail on laptop 1, password
#3 is for gnus on laptop 2 and so on. Each instance of an application
gets its own long password.

It's ostensibly more secure than storing the user's password in that
application because:

* Per-App passwords are computer-generated. They can be tested for high
entropy and regenerated instantaneously, before a "good" password is
offered to the user. (I don't know whether this is actually done, or
whether it's just the output of a pRNG password generator)

* Per-App passwords can be revoked without spoiling access to other
applications. Did laptop 2 get stolen? Just revoke password #3 and you
don't need to change the passwords stored on Laptop 1.