Re: Google vs. DDG (was: Social-media antipathy)

On 4/28/21, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 15:02:19 +0100
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
(...)
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 09:46:53AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
>> Could you give an example where DDG fails and Google succeeds?
>
> Here's a sort of example I just ran into. When trying to find
> information about Thetis hardware security keys, DDG simply couldn't
> find the company's website: searching DDG for "thetis key" turns up (in
> the first page of hits) a bunch of Amazon listings, and a bunch of
> reviews of, and articles about, security keys that mention Thetis.
> Searching for the same thing on Google, OTOH, returns the company's
> website (https://thetis.io) as the first hit (along with a convenient
> list of pages on the site).

I have no idea if this Thetis business is pretty popular or well-know (first
time I heard about them), but: couldn't be maybe that Thetis paid for some
Google Ads (and no DDG Ads, let's say) and that "put them in the (G)map?

Just something that came to my mind - to be rigorous: a fully *uneducated*
guess...

Kind regards.