Re: Google vs. DDG

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 12:20:58 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> >> FWIW, I'm pretty sure that such anectodal evidence is of no importance
> >> because you can also come up with examples where the situation
> >> is reversed.
> > Can you?
>
> I meant "you" in a very general sense: I'm pretty sure it's possible,
> but no, I haven't done the necessary work (and I'm not very interested
> in doing it either).

That's fine, of course, but I'm just pointing out that your logic is a
bit circular: you dismiss my anecdote in support of Google's
superiority with the assumption that there exist counter-anecdotes as
well, but your only basis for this assumption seems to be the
assumption that Google isn't objectively superior ;)

Of course, anecdotes are not data. And just to be clear, I really like
DDG, certainly for its attitude and track record of taking privacy
seriously, as well as for doing remarkably well as a competitor to
Google with what I assume is a tiny fraction of its resources.

Celejar