Re: Nvidia graphic card and newer kernels (open source driver)

Vincent Lefevre composed on 2021-04-24 21:05 (UTC+0200):

> Yes, very bad experience with the nouveau driver (I haven't tried
> recently with the latest kernels, but my bug reports remained
> unanswered), which is the only free driver I know. In particular,
> it is unusable with my laptop and an external screen, as being
> awfully slow (just for basic desktop use, such as scrolling and
> moving windows).

That description sounds exactly like you were *not* using the nouveau X driver.
What you describe is what is expected from using the VESA and FBDEV drivers, the
fallback you get if you use nomodeset or nouveau.modeset=0 to boot, or if the
nouveau kernel driver is blacklisted, or if NVidia drivers and their configuration
files have been incompletely purged.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/