Re: TDE (Trinity Desktop Environment) vs KDE

Kenneth Parker composed on 2021-04-22 16:23 (UTC-0400):

> I saw TDE discussed in another, recent Thread, and had to look it up, as I
> am not familiar with it.

> How does it compare with the current KDE?  Other than a qemu VM with KDE
> (so that I can examine it), I haven't used KDE in years (using XFCE for
> most of my systems, but with one current Gnome Desktop).

> Is it worth using *instead* of KDE, or would that throw me into a mess?

TDE is a fork of KDE 3.5.10. Since KDE4 was a major rewrite for QT4, which made
many former KDE3 users hate KDE4, and KDE5 a major rewrite for QT5, there is quite
a bit of similarity overall between Plasma 5 and TDE, yet vast differences
underneath. Computing eons have passed since the forking. TDE can be installed
alongside KDE5 just as XFCE or Cinnamon or Mate can be installed alongside KDE5.
KDE5 runs on QT5, while TDE runs on a fork of QT3 called TQT. TDM can start a
Plasma session, and a TDE session can run KDE5 apps. What doesn't mix is KDE3 and
TDE, but that's only possible to attempt on openSUSE, since KDE3 is long gone
everywhere else.

TDE is great for those interested in responsiveness & speed with low overhead, low
demand, thus great for older hardware and under 2GB RAM.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/