Re: TDE (Trinity Desktop Environment) vs KDE

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote on 4/22/21 2:57 PM:
On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 04:23:02PM -0400, Kenneth Parker wrote:
I saw TDE discussed in another, recent Thread, and had to look it up, as I
am not familiar with it.

How does it compare with the current KDE?  Other than a qemu VM with KDE
(so that I can examine it), I haven't used KDE in years (using XFCE for
most of my systems, but with one current Gnome Desktop).

Is it worth using *instead* of KDE, or would that throw me into a mess?

I use TDE as my desktop on my main [debian stable, 64-bit] machine for real work; I gave up waiting for the KDE coders to reimplement some functionality that was lost when they switched to KDE4 (and then KDE5, or whatever it's called nowadays).

I also have KDE installed on the machine, for the very few occasions when I find that the KDE5 version of a program has something that I need and which is not in TDE -- that happens so rarely that off the top of my head I can't even think of an example, but I know that it has happened; but I believe that it's always been in the nature of fluff/candy, not core functionality. And in fact even then I don't run the KDE desktop, but just run the KDE version of a program instead of the TDE version.

FWIW, the biggest reason I switched to TDE was the lack of support in KDE for displaying in the panel sysguard widgets that obtain data from remote systems. In my panel I have widgets reporting on the health of other machines... and those other machines are running KDE (because I interact with their desktops so infrequently that it wasn't worth installing a different desktop on them).

I will also say that the modern KDE look, with its rather astonishing amount of wasted space, was not to my taste, although that was not the principal reason why I installed TDE.

The biggest two annoyances I find in TDE as compared to KDE are both in Konqueror: a) the display of directories does not continually renew on changes; b) when displaying image files, the images are not scaled down to fit within the current display panel. So it's not perfect. But I find it just a lot nicer to use than modern versions of KDE. Other people doubtless have different opinions.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans