Re: Zoom.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 02:21:56PM -0400, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> On 4/21/21, Richmond <richmond@criptext.com> wrote:
> > sudo apt install ~/Downloads/zoom_amd64.deb
>
> I just had to do this AGAIN yesterday. I download the dotDEB file then
> "dpkg -i" it. It always fails due to missing dependencies. Somewhere
> in the failed effort, the reminder to "apt --fix-broken install"
> appears so that's what I do next.

You're doing it the old way.  If that works, well, congrats.

The modern way is to use apt or apt-get to install the .deb file,
as Richmond showed.  You need to make sure the pathname of the .deb file
that you pass to apt begins with / or ./ or ../ so apt knows it's a
pathname and not a package name.  Since ~ is expanded to an absolute
path (beginning with / ), Richmond's command works just fine.