Re: Re: Smart TV on WiFi as Extra Display

Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> I'd like to use the TV as an extra display for my laptop. Basically,
> as if it were connected with an HDMI cable, but over the network. And
> use both displays, the same way one usually uses two displays.
>
> Unless there's a usage of x11vnc that I don't understand, there are
> two issues with using x11vnc for this purpose.
>
> * First, WebOS does not have any available VNC client apps, so there's
> no straightforward way of getting the TV to display the VNCed display.
>
> * Second, x11vnc allows remote viewing of an *existing* display. So if
> there were a vnc client for the TV, it would allow the display on my
> laptop to be mirrored to the TV, but would not make the TV into a
> second monitor.
>
> But this does suggest a way to achieve the goal. (a) Set up a virtual
> frame buffer which X/Wayland/whatever can see/configure. (b) Use
> x11vnc -clip to get just the virtual thing. (c) Implement some simple
> VNC client which takes a VNC display and broadcasts it using a
> standard video codec that any web browser can stream.

Maybe your TV can play video from a URL? Maybe from an RTSP
stream?

In which case something like this:

ffmpeg -video_size whateverxwhatever -framerate 30 -f x11grab -i :0 -f mpegts - \
 | vlc -I dummy - --sout='#std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:8554}

might be what you want, producing http://yourmachinesip:8554 as
an RTSP video source.

Format would likely need to be adjusted, I have not tried this.

I have been told that WebOS tvs usually support miracast, in
which case:

https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast

and

https://01.org/wds