Re: FW: Re: Attempt to use the chipset NVIDIA Corp MCP79 [GeForce 8200M G]

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:31:58AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 03:27:37PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > If Nouveau is going to work - it will "just work", I think, as Felix Miata says.  If it definitely doesn't work at all and just freezes,
> > then you'll need to effectively reinstall, do the text only install trick, install the necessary to build the nvidia-legacy package THEN use tasksel to
> > install the GUI and desktop environment of your choice.
>
> You don't need to reinstall.  Just disable the Display Manager so you
> can boot into regular text mode.
>
> If you're at the GRUB menu, you can edit the kernel selection before
> booting into it, and add a boot parameter to this list:
>
> systemd.unit=multi-user.target
>
> That will override the default target for one boot only.

There are pathological edge cases where if you've got nouveau installed, you can't then install the non-free proprietary
Nviida drivers because you can't uninstall enough of nouveau. If you've got the Nvidia drivers installed and want to change,
you can't then delete them completely and install nouveau - at least in my experience, they've tended to interfere destructively.

Hence the "install nothing graphical THEN install the prerequisites for the proprietary driver if necessary, then install the proprietary
driver, then install the GUI to sit on top of it all" suggestion.

My caution may be bad luck or the experience of a very much less than clueful user: it certainly bit me with dual chipset laptops and
bumblebee but it might not now be a problem. My preferred option would always be to take the free nouveau drivers if possible because
otherwise you end up potentially having to compile drivers and DKMS kernel interfaces with every kernel change.

All the best, as ever,

Andy C.