FW: Re: Attempt to use the chipset NVIDIA Corp MCP79 [GeForce 8200M G]

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 15:04:34 +0000
From: "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com>
To: Susmita/Rajib <bkpsusmitaa@gmail.com>, debian-user@lits.debian.org
Subject: Re: Attempt to use the chipset NVIDIA Corp MCP79 [GeForce 8200M G]
 (rev b1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) with Dix. Teacher-Guide, Mr. Felix
 Miata

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 07:38:45PM +0530, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> One question, as I am having cold feet, expecting heartbreak.
>
> Does nouveau boot into GUI before purging the driver with any of the three:
> apt purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
> apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
> aptitude purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
>
> I am sorry for the misinformation posted earlier.
>
> Nouveau always has drawn a GUI, but then the system froze. If that is
> your experience too, then I should be elated.
>
> Best.
> Rajib

If Nouveau is going to work - it will "just work", I think, as Felix Miata says.  If it definitely doesn't work at all and just freezes,
then you'll need to effectively reinstall, do the text only install trick, install the necessary to build the nvidia-legacy package THEN use tasksel to
install the GUI and desktop environment of your choice.

I've done this before with a laptop which has Nvidia and Intel chipsets and switches between them. That requires bumblebee packages, if
I remember correctly but is a smilar dance to get sorted - text only install THEN install the Nvidia drivers.

All the best, as ever,

Andy C.

----- End forwarded message -----