Re: Smart TV on WiFi as Extra Display

On 19/04/2021 12:24, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> I have a smart TV which includes a browser. (An LG running WebOS, as
> it happens.) It can, of course, display video streams from a given
> URL. So I'm hoping someone has figured out a way to create a virtual
> display on a Debian computer which streams its contents out as a live
> video stream on some nice port, and which X or Wayland or whatever
> sees as an extra display in xrandr or Gnome Settings>Displays or
> whatever.
>
> The dream:
>
> - on Debian box, run /usr/local/bin/virtual-display -size 1920x1080 -port 8888 &
> - on TV, browse to http://192.168.0.246:8888
> - go to Gnome Settings>Displays and enable/configure the new display
> - enjoy extra screen without dog chewing HDMI cable
>
> Bonus points for getting pulseaudio to have a new sink that sends
> audio output to the outgoing stream.

You might want to look at Apache Guacamole. It's a web application that
acts as a VNC/RDP/SSH client (that is, a web browser connects to
Guacamole, and Guacamole makes a separate connection to a VNC/RDP/SSH
server and renders the result in the browser).  There are instructions
in the manual for configuring audio with VNC and RDP.

I think the tricker part would be sending the appropriate Xinerama
notifications or whatever is required to tell the X server "A second
monitor has been plugged in", but perhaps someone better acquainted with
VNC or RDP can say if that's easily done.