Basics for text mode install [WAS Re: Can the latest stable Debian be compelled to run in vesa mode, rather than the motherboard graphics card, if the said card doesn't have drivers available? How?]

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 08:15:45AM +0530, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 17:56:46 +0000, "Andrew M.A. Cater"
> <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
> [QUOTE]
> [...]
> I followed through the screenshots you provided.
> [...]
> You can't ignore the source - you may have to apply it to a kernel.
> [/QUOTE]
>

> Okay, learnt. Thank you.

Note: You _only_ need this if you are using the proprietary Nvidia driver.

> [QUOTE]
> [...]
> You have dependency errors. That's a bad sign.
>
> [...]
> WHY, oh, why are you trying to use Bullseye and kernel 5.10 at this stage?
> [/QUOTE]
>
> I used the example of knoppix. Regarding Bullseye and kernel 5.10,
> that was knoppix.

OK. Understood. If Knoppix is working, then Debian should too.

> [QUOTE]
> [...]
> First things first: you have a laptop which is 64 bit capable, I think.
> You also have a laptop which is capable of using UEFI. Use them.
> Use those options.
> [...]
> [/QUOTE]
>
> 64bit yes. For the problematic laptop, UEFI, no.

I was reading this from the screenshots you posted: that laptop is set to
Legacy [BIOS mode] which suggests that it might also be able to use UEFI.

> [QUOTE]
> Download a CD/DVD including firmware if that's what it takes -
> First link is CD which may be enough, second is DVD
>
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-10.9.0-amd64-netinst.iso
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/amd64/iso-dvd/firmware-10.9.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
> [...]
> [/QUOTE]
>
> > Presently, I used the Debian grub to run knoppix, either as iso by
> > loopback loop, or with iso extracted and am presently using knoppix
> > for the HCL Me laptop.

I'm assuming that the HCL Me laptop is the one you want to install on - and
was the one the screenshots relate to. To make it easier, I'm assuming that
you are prepared to wipe the disk, do a clean install and don't need to
retain previous data.

> > Please tell me if there is a possibility of using Debian to use vesa
> > (or fbdev) from grub, although fbdev is deprecated, vesa runs fine.
> > But a little stressful for the motherboard and CPU. Heat up.
> >
> > Best,
> > Rajib
>

> [QUOTE]
> Try the above with current Debian 10 and a text mode expert install _first_
> Do NOT install a graphical environment until you can get the laptop working
> in text mode. At that point, you may have to deal with installing nouveau
> or, possibly, the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

To make sure that you _only_ have a text mode environment.

When the install gets to the task selection stage - uncheck / de-select
Debian desktop environment. Make sure that all other desktop environments
are not selected. Install only the standard utilities.

if you are using WiFi - before you finish the install drop to a shell
and apt-get install network-manager. This will allow you to use nmcli to
set up and access WiFi thereafter.

Once the install is complete, reboot. You should, at that stage, just have
text mode. At that point, you can do one of two things:

For the free drivers:

Run tasksel and select a desktop environment. I might suggest Mate as being
slightly less resource hungry than GNOME - your choice.

For Nvidia

Do NOT tasksel and install any desktop until you've got the essentials you
need and have built/installed the appropriate Nvidia binaries.