Re: [?]List of Best Debian-approved laptops in India

On Sun, Apr 18 2021 at 08:01:46 PM, "Susmita/Rajib" <bkpsusmitaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> My illustrious List Leaders and solution providers,
>
> My references are here:
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=149280
> {to avoid repetition)
>
> Need your advice and suggestion on the issue. The laptops that I have
> are problematic under Debian. Some modified Debian installation like
> Knoppix have sorted out some problems that exist with Pure Debian,
> like wifi in HP and vesa in HCL Me.
>
> Vesa doesn't work in Debian Buster 10.8, by my blocking Nouveau
> through grub.cfg that halts the nvidia graphics chip. The string
> 'xmodule=vesa' doesn't work either.
>
> Debian nvidia drivers, as ever, fails to install.
>
> The nvidia drivers 64bit downloaded from nvidia website don't work.
> The problematic Hardware:
> (1) VGA compatible controller : NVIDIA Corporation MCP79 [GeForce
> 8200M G] (rev b1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> (2) Audio device : NVIDIA Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
>
> So information would be welcome. This time I wish to buy a laptop that
> shall not be DND, but Debian approved.

I'd recommend to find a vendor that is shipping hardware with a linux
distribution pre-installed, and pick a device that does not have nvidia
hardware, assuming you don't need any specific nvidia feature.  When I
last bought a laptop in India (~2016), it was a Dell Vostro 3458 with
Ubuntu preinstalled.  My current hardware is a Dell Precision 7520,
again with Ubuntu preinstalled.  Both run debian with no difficulty.  I
have no recent experience with running nvidia hardware.  The Vostro has
Intel and the Precision has Intel/AMD.

--
regards,
kushal