Re: new user MacBook

On 4/17/21 8:39 AM, Thanos Katsiolis wrote:
Hello,

I am a new user who would like to try Debian.

I have a MacBook Pro (Early 11) which runs Mac OS, to which I want to also
install Debian. Will I have any issues installing Debian regarding hardware?
I would also appreciate it if you have any tips before the installation as
well as if there is any source that helps for the installation.

Forgive me if this is not the right place to ask this question, and feel
free directing me to the right place.

That is called "dual-boot'. Setting it up correctly is non-trivial; the details vary by computer make and model. Even when I have succeeded at dual-boot, I found that, no matter which OS I was running, I always needed to do something on the other OS.

The obvious answer today is virtualization. I suggest installing VirtualBox, creating a virtual machine, and installing Debian into the virtual machine. That will allow you to "try Debian" (or any other x86 operating system) with far less risk of making your MacBook unbootable, corrupting the native OS, or destroying data. And, you can use both macOS and Debian at the same time.

David