Re: Firefox HTTPS-only mode breaks sites that return 404 for HTTPS connections

On 4/14/21, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently switched to Firefox's native HTTPS-Only mode from the
> HTTPS Everywhere extension, and I've just made the nasty discovery that
> a bunch of links that had been returning 404, which I had been assuming
> were dead links, were actually perfectly valid pages, which Firefox had
> been "upgrading" to HTTPS, and then getting 404s from web servers that
> weren't offering them via HTTPS (but still apparently accepting
> connections via HTTPS). Clicking on the little lock icon and turning
> HTTPS-Only mode off for the website doesn't seem to have any effect -
> the only thing that lets me actually access these pages is turning off
> HTTPS-Only mode via the general Settings page (or about:config).
>
> When the website doesn't offer HTTPS at all, then Firefox offers to
> connect via HTTP, after a warning, and that's fine. But having pages
> become completely inaccessible is intolerable - I now have to check
> every 404 I get by turning off HTTPS-Only mode and seeing if the
> page is actually there. Am I missing something here, or is HTTPS-Only
> mode just badly broken?
>
> https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2020/11/17/firefox-83-introduces-https-only-mode/
>
> Celejar

Not sure if useful at all, but I've been using firefox-release (just running
the binary from Mozilla) as main browser for years, and enabled HTTPS-
Only Mode upon HTTPS Everywhere add-on/extension simply because
I had it installed and I was letting it be (?). And that (unexpected?)
combination seems to work fine (in comparison with your case). Maybe
you want to try it just to avoid that extra-work until a proper
solution appears...

Best regards.