Re: upgrading firefox-esr from 78.6 to 78.9 results in non-working firefox

On Saturday, 10 Apr 2021 at 13:08, David Wright wrote:
> My reaction upon reading this is that perhaps you should change your
> priorities slightly.

Yes, I understand where you are coming from.  I do follow security
advisories and upgrade specific packages.  I do periodically upgrade all
packages, just not with high frequency (e.g. maybe every 4-5 months).

> The fact that the system "works" is a high bar for upgrading, and
> takes no account of whether the system has vulnrabilities ripe
> for exploit.

But my computer is necessary for my work so I don't want to jeopardise
it when it is doing the job.  Yes, I could use Debian stable and
probably should but over the (many) years, I found that I ended up
needing to start using the backports repository too much.  Testing with
careful tracking works for me (fingers crossed).

> OTOH the bank's website may well be checking your version number
> against the latest available from mozilla (87 AIUI), without
> regard for any patching done by Debian.

Yes, very likely.

> FWIW all the sites that I normally visit are working with
> 78.9.0esr-1~deb10u1, the current version. (Note that writing
> "version 78.9" doesn't tell us which version you're running—I see
> a different one in bullseye: 78.9.0esr-1.)

Yes, sorry, I was being lazy.  It is indeed 78.9.0esr-1.

Thanks again,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4.4 on Debian bullseye/sid