Re: bug considering accent marks

On Sat 10 Apr 2021 at 23:53:27 (+0200), laurent aerens wrote:
> Package: unknown
>
> Version: debian 9 - 10
>
> Severity: minor
>
> When I type accent marks (¨^´`) in the terminal followed by a letter
> (that does not match with the accent) (for example ^ and the letter n)
> nothing happens and the keystrokes get ignored.

It's always important to make it clear what you expect or want to
happen, as well as what does happen on your system. For example,
using Compose in an xterm, if I type <Compose> <x> <p>, nothing
happens, because I don't have a composition set for xp. I don't
want a spurious character, nor the pair of characters xp, which
I would need to rub out.

So is your observation what you want, or what you don't want?
(I would assume the former.)

> Typing an accent mark and a space allows you to input it in the
> terminal.

I can see the sense in that. I presume you have a keyboard language
setting appropriate for your language, and that your accent characters
are dead keys, automatically composing with the next character typed.
(Being British, all my keys type themselves.) So to type ^n, you
would type <^> <space> <n> rather than just two keystrokes.

> The same cannot be said about the GUI for login where it is
> impossible to type any accent mark.

AIUI you really want to avoid using accented characters or any sort
of composition in your username and password. The reason is that if
your computer gets set in any unexpected language setting (or unset),
you might not be able to login at all, and unable to correct things.

I don't kow much about GUI login screens and whether they take account
of this at all. But that's just my advice.

> I am using the debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) for i38[6] and an orange pi
> build of debian 9.13.
>
> PS: I did my best but I’m a Linux beginner so I don't know that much
> don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Cheers,
David.