Re: Boot better have mounted on root or /boot ?

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 09:07:04AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 08 apr 21, 07:21:04, Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE wrote:
> > On Donnerstag, 8. April 2021 02:15:00 -04 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >
> > > For me the simplicity of having 'boot' on '/' wins in most cases. It
> > > avoids a lot of issues (like running out of space in /boot) with no
> > > significant downside I'm aware of.
> >
> > With my setups it is far more likely that / fills up than /boot so having
> > a separate /boot partition at least allows me to boot and solve the
> > problem easily.
>
> Sorry, I just can't imagine a scenario in which some space in /boot can
> help with a full /, except maybe to (ab)use it to move stuff around(?).

I think Eike's point of view is "from the other end": / filling up
makes /boot full and thus (possibly) disfunctional, preventing the
next boot.

I'm not sure about a concrete mechanism for that, but it would be
annoying indeed, forcing you to either whip-up a rescue medium.

(Remember: your only computer is currently refusing to boot, and
you lent your last USB stick [1] to that nice friend yesterday evening)
or surgically extracting your harddisk from your flimsy laptop to...
drats, your only computer, etc. you get the idea ;-)

Cheers

[1] which, of course, had a current rescue system, because everyone
   has that :-)

 - t