Re: Boot better have mounted on root or /boot ?

On Donnerstag, 8. April 2021 02:15:00 -04 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 08 apr 21, 08:55:47, Robbi Nespu wrote:
> > I use auto partitioning (if not mistaken) and boot mounted on root
> > "/" instead of creating own "/boot" partition
> >
> > $ df -h /boot/
> > Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda1       110G   62G   43G  60% /
> >
> > What actually the best way for boot directory? put on same root
> > directory like I have right now or it better to have it own
> > partition?
> The "best" way depends a lot on the criteria used to evaluate.
>
> For me the simplicity of having 'boot' on '/' wins in most cases. It
> avoids a lot of issues (like running out of space in /boot) with no
> significant downside I'm aware of.
>
> I've used a separate boot only when there was no way around it, e.g.
> the original RaspberryPi needs a FAT /boot partition.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

With my setups it is far more likely that / fills up than /boot so having
a separate /boot partition at least allows me to boot and solve the
problem easily.
On the other hand in this case booting from another disk or USB-stick is
possible but a wee bit more uncomfortable.

As you brought in the case of Raspberries: with today's available disk
space there is no reason to be frugal with /boot space except if one has
to make do with an SD-card or internal NAND memory.

I'd say: if you plan to use your setup for many years without
reinstalling, you are better off with separate partitions with well
planned sizes.
If you reinstall more often (like once or twice a year) put all on one
partition. Should it turn out that you use that computer for many years
without reinstallation but upgrade - upgrade - upgrade and you need more
diskspace for /var or /usr add a disk or two. Caveat: your installation
will become somewhat baroque. Power consumption is another concern.

Eventually it all boils down to one's ability to predict the future or
at least a subset thereof.

Cheers
Eike