Re: minimize daemon downtime for apt upgrade

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 10:46:06 -0500
Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe@d.umn.edu> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Scenario:
>
> I have a Sid desktop computer that acts as a router for my home
> network.
>
> If I wait for a few months to perform an "apt upgrade", many packages
> get upgraded.

Not offering an answer, but if you're running sid, you shouldn't wait
that long between upgrades, there is a possibility of breaking it. In
that time, several major package groups might be replaced, and there
may be an issue about the order of upgrades to make it work. I've had
to reinstall a sid for that reason, long ago. Possibly today I could
recover it, but I wasn't a beginner when it happened.

If you must use sid for a mission-critical job, you should be upgrading
it at least weekly, I do my sid workstation almost every day. Even then,
there is a risk of breaking an important package. Nearly all of sid
works nearly all the time, but it's not a 100% uptime OS.

--
Joe