Re: minimize daemon downtime for apt upgrade

Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> I have a Sid desktop computer that acts as a router for my home network.

I have a Stable mini-ITX "desktop" computer that acts as a
router for my home network.

> If I wait for a few months to perform an "apt upgrade", many packages get
> upgraded.

I use apticron to automatically download updated stable
packages, and then it sends me an email to tell me to do the
upgrade. I generally do it early in the morning, but because the
router can reboot in 30 seconds thanks to a tiny SSD, I can do
it during the day, too.

> The upgrade starts with shutting down isc-dhcp-server (in order to upgrade
> it), then starts to upgrade all the packages, and finally some hours later
> the upgrade starts isc-dhcp-server.

Upgrades for mine typically take a couple of minutes... and, as
it turns out, it's pretty easy to configure failover for
isc-dhcp-server so that it gets handled smoothly by a different
computer.

> This is a bit annoying as it DoS'es all the other computers on my network.

I imagine so. Another thing you could do would be to assign
static IPs or DHCP-assigned reliable IPs with long leases.

A DHCP lease can be for 24 hours or 30 days, no problem.

> I know I could do:
>
> apt install isc-dhcp-server
> apt upgrade
>
> to work around this issue.
>
> Is there something more elegant? Like a "minimize downtime" for a package
> config file?

Is there a reason you use Sid instead of stable? Maybe the
upcoming release of Bullseye as stable would be a good time to
make that change?

-dsr-