Where does apt-cdrom put the release file?

Please help me use DVDs to install additional packages. I can do a clean install from DVDs, but not add additional packages. 'apt update' says it disables the DVDs because it cannot find their release files.

My understanding, the purpose of 'apt-cdrom' is to save summary information from the DVD (or whatever removeable media) to your hard drive, so you do not have to mount every DVD every time you run 'apt update'. However, something seems to be haywire on my computer. Either apt-cdrom is not saving the DVD's release file, or apt doesn't know where to find it.

I understand I can prevent apt from checking the release file by adding 'trusted=yes' to each DVD's entry in the sources.list file. However, the manpage for apt-security warns they will eventually plug this loophole.

In pursuit of a long-term fix, I thought the first thing to do was to figure out where the release files should be on my hard drive. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

More detail:
I am running Debian stable, 10.9. amd-64. Pretty much the standard desktop configuration except I use xfce.

Below are the messages 'apt update' outputs. To make the list of messages shorter and less confusing, I made sure there would only be one DVD for 'apt update' to complain about. I did this by first manually editing the sources.list file to have only one entry: the official security repository. Then I ran 'apt-cdrom add' to add one DVD. Then ran:
  root@penguin:~# apt update
Ign:1 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 10.9.0 _Buster_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-2 20210327-10:39] buster InRelease Err:2 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 10.9.0 _Buster_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-2 20210327-10:39] buster Release Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs Hit:3 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
  Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 10.9.0 _Buster_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-2 20210327-10:39] buster Release' does not have a Release file. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.