Re: Temporary failure in name resolution

On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 05:36:51PM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, April 02, 2021 04:35:58 PM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > >    2) would the caching feature be bypassed if your computer used the
> > >    public
> > >
> > > DNS name servers (e.g., 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, and 1.1.1.1)?  (Or if they were
> > > listed before the modem IP address?)
> >
> > You would be using the cached results stored by those external
> > nameservers.  Those are *extremely* popular nameservers, so one may
> > assume they will have basically the entire Internet namespace cached
> > most of the time.
>
> Thanks!
>
> I guess I phrased my question poorly -- I wondered if that would bypass the
> cache (if present) in the DSL modem?

Yes.  You would not be talking to the router's nameserver at all.

Home router DNS services tend to be mediocre at best, and usually they
simply forward your requests to your ISP's nameservers, and *those*
tend to be problematic at times too (depending on the ISP).  That's two
layers of questionable things to worry about.

That's why multiple people have suggested editing your resolv.conf, to
stop using the router's nameserver which seems to be causing (or at least
contributing to) the problem.

If you don't want to use Google's or Cloudflare's public nameservers,
you can always run your own.  There are several different caching
recursive nameserver packages available in Debian.  Pick one, install
it, put "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in your resolv.conf, and you're all set...
until your DHCP client overwrites your changes.  That's when you use
one of the wiki's suggestions for how to keep your changes intact.