Re: Temporary failure in name resolution

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 20:14:41 -0400
Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:

> Home router DNS services tend to be mediocre at best, and usually they
> simply forward your requests to your ISP's nameservers, and *those*
> tend to be problematic at times too (depending on the ISP).  That's
> two layers of questionable things to worry about.

I once had a router (can't remember which make) which failed to return
*some* MX records. That took me some time to track down, as it was fine
with nearly all of them, and I was fairly new to networking.

In my time working on MS Small Business Server (early 2000s) there were
a number of routers which claimed to handle PPTP VPNs but didn't. I
think even then that most of them had oriental firmware, and my opinion
of even Japanese code is that it isn't wonderful. Hardware great,
software poor.

--
Joe