Re: xsane can't see Brother ADS-2700W scanner

On Fri 02 Apr 2021 at 15:27:48 +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

> On 02.04.2021 06:11, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> > On 2021-04-01 3:51 a.m., Brian Potkin wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Charlie,
> > >
> > > It would appear that you are not subscribed to debian-user. Have you
> > > seen all the replies to your post that await you there?
> >
> > Yes, I have.  I just haven't had time to act on them.  I did download
> > a driver from the Brother site but it had no effect.  I suspect there's
> > something I'll have to do with xsane to get it to find the scanner.
> I've poked that driver a bit and it looks like only USB-connection is well
> supported, and there is no "Scan from your Computer (Linux)" section in the
> manual either. [1]
> There is a mention about "conf_ip" utility, but it looks like Brother began
> to implement "Direct Scan over Network" feature and never finished.
> You might try to follow the instructions from "How to Install" section [2]
> and setup IP address of the scanner on PC:
>     $ sudo conf_ip 192.168.xxx.xxx
>
> All things considered, it might be indeed easier to setup FTP/SFTP or CIFS
> (Samba) server on your PC and create a scanner profile to scan directly into
> FTP directory or SMB share. [3]
> Even workflow looks more efficient that way:
> [Go to scanner] > [Place documents] > [Select profile] > [Start scanning] >
> [Retrieve documents] > [Go back to PC]
> In comparison to:
> [Go to scanner] > [Place documents] > [Go back to PC] > [Select profile] >
> [Start scanning] > [Go to scanner] > [Retrieve documents] > [Go back to PC]
>

> [1] https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/htmldoc/ads/cv_ads2200/uke/index.html?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=ads2700w_us_eu_as#GUID-323B4D6E-6CAF-4A35-B1AC-7F8F110EAE06_25
> [2] https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=ads2700w_us_eu_as&os=128&dlid=dlf103479_000&flang=4&type3=566
> [3] https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/htmldoc/ads/cv_ads2200/uke/index.html?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=ads2700w_us_eu_as#GUID-286EDD29-0309-47AD-82F6-94D735A816D0_36

Although using the Brother driver appears the natural solution to the
issue, I would stronly suggest Eduardo M KALINOWSKI's advice to use
sane-airscan as the first avenue of approach.

  * sane-airscan is a free, well-supported SANE backend.
  * The manual for the ADS-2700W indicates it supports scanning from
    an iPhone. This is only possible if the scanner supports the eSCL
    protocol.
  * sane-airscan also understands the eSCL protocol and should be able
    to talk to the scanner.
  * Downloading, installing and testing sane-airscan is a ten minute
    task.

Note: Xsane communicates with a scanner via a SANE backend. If the
latter is suboptimal, Xsane can do nothing about it.

--
Brian.