Re: Creating my first LAN

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 15:25:55 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> But going back to the OP's original scenario, a broken¹ router would
> be an ideal solution for linking two wifi laptops, with no possibility
> of accidentally joining the Internet (horrors!).
>
> ¹ Is this a common mode of failure? My guess would be that, plus
>   the radio part. (Note: nowhere am I talking about modems.)

I don't think so. But a modem-router will eventually be superseded, and
will then work as a switch if you ignore the WAN part, I think that's
a more common situation than cable router WAN failure. I have a couple
of old ADSL routers, while I'm actually using a VDSL one provided by the
ISP. I do have the occasional temporary need for a portable 4-port
hub/switch.

I've just bought a wireless (cable) router to improve the range over my
very old one. I've left it in router mode, it provides DNS and DHCP to
wireless clients using my bind9 server as DNS source, the latter
working from first principles (root hints). Another spare router...

--
Joe