Re: DNS problems on Raspberry Pi 400 (Debian 10.9)

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021, 8:08 AM Moritz Kempe <deblist+debian@moke12g.de> wrote:
On 3/31/21 1:55 PM, Lee wrote:
> On 3/31/21, Moritz Kempe <deblist+debian@moke12g.de> wrote:
>>> grep ^hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf
>> --
>> hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mymachines
> I don't trust multicast dns, so in addition to turning it off I've also got
> $ grep host /etc/nsswitch.conf
> # hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
> hosts:          files dns
>
> Maybe worth a shot?

Changed my /etc/nsswitch.conf to

--

..

#hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mymachines
hosts:          files dns
..

--

and rebooted the system. The behavior hasn't changed.

github.com is still blocked. And dig is still able to find the ip address.

Or do i have done something wrong?

I have found out, that i can restore some domains when running
"/sbin/dhclient" as root but not all. Github is still not accessible.

That's why I suggested checking for DHCP messages in the logs. But also logs upstream from your pi's. Each time you get a DHCP grant, potentially you've switched DNS servers.

Note: I haven't changed any networking configuration on this device. I
haven't even enabled wifi.