Re: how to record sound to mp3 [wav, for those who can]

Hi,

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 08:38:02 +0100
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 11:22:35PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> > David Wright (12021-03-25):
> > > … on your machine.
> >
> > On no machine, unless specifically configured, which is not trivial at
> > all.
>
> No idea about pulse. For ALSA, there's alsaloop, which comes with a
> man page. Part of alsa-utils. No need of playing with cable loops.

another possibility: when the snd-mixer-oss module is loaded, (at least
here) when using the OSS mixer device there is a "Vol" control which
roughly appears to be the OSS equivalent to Alsa's "Master" control,
however the "Vol" control has an additional "Capture" switch. Now, when I
set "Vol" as capture device, the audio output will be used as input for
recording. Recording level can be adjusted with the "PCM" mixer control.
Of course, the presence of this "Vol" control may depend on the sound
card / driver in use.
Oddly, there seems to be no such easy way to achieve the same result with
alsamixer/amixer. Plus, I don't know how to switch the OSS capture device
programmatically (if this is important for the OP's purpose).

Regards
Michael

I thought my people would grow tired of killing.  But you were right,
they see it is easier than trading.  And it has its pleasures.  I feel
it myself.  Like the hunt, but with richer rewards.
		-- Apella, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8