Re: Creating my first LAN

On 03/24/2021 12:22 PM, Reco wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 12:15:34PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 03/24/2021 10:40 AM, Reco wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 10:34:53AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
I have two laptops with clean installs of Buster. During installation
server software was installed on *ONE* of them. Communication will be
via WiFi.  Any specific suggestions for reading?

hostapd, dhcpd, bind (named). Last two can be replaced with dnsmasq.

References to man pages is premature.
Thought my phrasing would exclude them ;{

It definitely did not, at least for me :)
I mean, you asked for some keywords, I gave you them.

What I was looking for would be an overview significantly higher level
that those low level functions.

Ok. Then I'd start with [1] and [2].

Reco

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hostapd
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/software_access_point

[2] has a link to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad-hoc_networking#Network_configuration which comes close to what I was looking for.

In a private message I was referred to
  https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=home%20lan%20setup%20wireless
which has some promising links.

Have errands to run but much rain scheduled for tomorrow. Great for reading ;}

Thanks

\