Re: Running a FreeBSD guest

didier gaumet wrote:
> Le 23/03/2021 à 10:54, Victor Sudakov a écrit :
>
> > 1. Does qemu use hardware virtualization (VT-d, whatever is in the CPU)?
>
> Yes, I think that basically, KVM requires it (and that Qemu does not)

The relation between qemu and kvm confuses me. "apt install qemu-kvm" is
trying to install a ton of X11 packages including Mesa drivers etc, I
would not really want that. And "apt install kvm" does not find such a
package.

> > 2. Can qemu present the NIC and drives to the guest paravirtualized?
> > FreeBSD understands VirtIO Block Adapter, VirtIO Ethernet and VMware
> > VMXNET3 and some other paravirtualized devices.
>
> there is an introduction to Virtio in kvm:
> https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Virtio

This is also confusing, as the document is written about kvm but cites
qemu as an example.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/