Re: Cannot see update to recent linux kernel 5.10.19-1~bpo10+1 (from 5.10.13-1~bpo10+1)

On Lu, 22 mar 21, 07:26:27, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2021-03-22 at 07:22, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > In any case, backports is, by definition, lagging behind testing.
>
> Yes, but that should only be reflected in the fact that the package
> version is different, not in which packages are available (barring the
> case where the newer version changed which packages get built, which
> doesn't apply here).

Except that the package name in backports is different, i.e. the package
is rebuilt for backports (in a stable build environment) and it also has
its name changed.

> Note that I checked the stable-backports listing for the version
> specified in the OP, and the testing listing for the version shown on my
> system as available in testing.
>
> If that's not the root of your point, then I'm missing it, and would be
> glad to see it explained.

My point is that whatever is (already) in testing provides little clue
for what should be in backports, especially for linux-image packages
that have the signing step in addition to a rebuild with changing the
package name. Besides, only some linux-image versions in testing will
get a backports upload.

Kind regards,
Andrei