Re: fsck error on boot: /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY and Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary

On 20.03.2021 13:50, David wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 at 19:53, Alexander V. Makartsev <avbetev@gmail.com> wrote:

To perform surface scans you can use SMART short and long scans, and also a program called "badblocks" from the package "e2fsprogs".
Be sure to unmount "/dev/sda1" before performing the scans.
Hi, I wonder why you give this advice to unmount.
Are you aware of a smartmontools reference document
that gives this advice?

If not using captive mode --captive option then
I feel it is unnecessary.

If using captive mode then I would suggest to unmount
the entire drive, not just one partition.

This is my casual understanding, corrections with
authoritative sources are welcome.

Normally, a SMART scans are non-destructive and would finish with an error as soon as first bad block is found.
But if HDD would encounter a real bad block or a long sequence of them during test scans, there is always a chance that HDD won't recover right away and as a consequence, kernel will remount partitions as read-only making OS unresponsive, even if later HDD's controller will return to normal state after processing bad blocks.
For me it is simply a proactive measure, to prevent tests from interrupting mid-scan and any external interference. This might prevent a huge time waste when you scan a multi-terrabyte drives.
Additionally, a manpage for "badblocks" program strongly recommends to unmount partitions before performing non-destructive read-write or destructive write tests on the device.

If you look through information OP gathered for us, you should notice "/dev/sda" has only one partition with NTFS filesystem.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org