Re: fsck error on boot: /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY and Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary

Steady on. There's likely to be a load of personal data on this drive.

Yes, backup should be done first!

That partition table looks perfectly normal for disks of a certain vintage;
I agree, but from "fdisk" output I see 4K (advanced format).

Is your drive advanced-formatted?

Of course, it's been reformatted since then, but not when it was
holding any data as yet unbacked-up.

Btw, reformatting is not enough.
To fix alignment one must delete the partition and create a new one.

AFAIK any modern tool (GNU parted, Windows Disk Manager, diskpart) will use 4K alignment by default for any drive.

Very old boot loader installed to the MBR may have problems with booting (the one that uses CHS instead of LBA), but modern grub should deal with it.

Then ask yourself why you're using NTFS on this disk, and whether
it might be better to adopt a different filesystem. For myself,
I only use NTFS readonly, for reading disks written on Windows.

+1.

NTFS support is not very stable in Linux, it is better to avoid it