Re: Markdown previewer

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 05:21:49PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I could write a script which would convert Markdown documents to HTML
> > and then call Firefox on the result, but I'm surprised there is no MD
> > viewer like xdvi or qpdfview.
>
> This may be due to the fact that, if you look closely, Markdown is
> a monster.
>
> There are many variants, a significant subset of them allows a varying
> subset of HTML (which one?) as an extension, and quite a few are just
> specified by some single implementation.
>
> It is one of those extremely interesting cases where a clear strength
> (simplicity, under-specification: thus I can hack something together
> over a weekend in Perl; since I'm rendering to HTML anyway, if table
> support isn't enough... well, duh, I can pass-through tables and so
> on) can turn around.
>
> Note that I am *not* judging. This simplicity and underspecification
> *is a strength* (I /love/ Org Mode), but it is also a weakness. You
> seem to be running into the latter :-)
>
> Have a look at [1]. Does it remind you of [2]?

I'm actually surprised by the recent proliferation of similar markup
languages.  Was it Wikipedia who started the trend?

OTOH, when I was younger, I encountered troff and DocBook and Texinfo
and of course LaTeX and lout (do you remember lout?). So there have
probably always been many of them.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/