Re: [TOTALLY OFFTOPIC] Re: [?] Why should Distros be called as i386 for a 32-bit PC, and as amd64 for a 64-bit PC, when Intel Core PCs are also 64bit systems

Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> writes:

> Intel knew that their argument was bull: they owned the market
> and needed ways of subdividing their CPUs to fit every price
> point. Turning off ECC support was one of those ways.

> That strategy started with the 80486, when they brought out a
> cheap version called the 80486SX which lacked a floating point
> unit. The SX has the floating point unit, it was just turned
> off.

Initially, yes. A panic move when AMD brought out their 40 MHz 386. It
worked, got popular and later on the 486SX was manufactured separately
with a smaller die and no floating point.

As for the ECC support in Ryzen CPUs, as I understand it it's a bit of a
mess. Sure the CPUs support it but if it's not validated by motherboard
manufacturers, how do you know it actually works reliably?