Re: [TOTALLY OFFTOPIC] Re: [?] Why should Distros be called as i386 for a 32-bit PC, and as amd64 for a 64-bit PC, when Intel Core PCs are also 64bit systems

Anssi Saari wrote:
> Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> writes:
>
> As for the ECC support in Ryzen CPUs, as I understand it it's a bit of a
> mess. Sure the CPUs support it but if it's not validated by motherboard
> manufacturers, how do you know it actually works reliably?

... by trying it out and reporting the results to others, and
reading their results and reporting your confirmation.

This isn't a thing that the motherboard manufacturer can put in
by accident.

Anyway. If you need ECC support, you buy an EPYC server and get
registered ECC support. If you would like to have ECC as a feature, you
get a Ryzen board that's reported to work, and you get
unbuffered ECC for one-bit correction and two-bit reporting.

Then you overclock it to generate RAM errors, and it shows up in
your system log. Then you bring it back down to normal speed.

At last report: normal desktop Ryzens (nothing with a G suffix
unless it also has a PRO marking) on any ASrock, most ASUS, and
some Gigabyte motherboards will support this. To the best of my
current knowledge, no MSI motherboards.

-dsr-