Re: Google vs. DDG (was: Social-media antipathy)

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 02:47:23PM +0100, deloptes wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > This is nonsense. "The best" without any context is just meaningless.
> >

> Come on, you yourself write below why.

[...]

> Me too - doing the same - but as you say "more or less as good as
> Google's" - it is not as good, because of the metadata.

Again, context. If you learn to provide the necessary context (e.g.
by adding in disambiguating search terms, etc.), your DDG results
will be as satisfactory as those with Google.

Bonus point: you learn something in the process, instead of Google
learning something "for you".

> Now, I wouldn't even think of using DDG, if I was not suspecting Google
> abusing privacy. Here DDG comes very handy.
> Everything that has to do with technical stuff - goes through Google. The
> stuff is neutral. The rest through DDG.
> I guess in Google's eyes I will be becoming a geek soon

To each his/her own. After a transition period (where I double-checked
the results with google.ca [1]), I didn't miss Google anymore -- technical
or not.

Cheers

[1] Funnily enough, it's the only one which didn't redirect me to
   my local language, based on (possibly) my IP geolocation. Perhaps
   some canadian local law, I don't know.

 - t