Re: Network connection of a qemu guest.

    From: Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>
    Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 21:01:01 +0300
> DHCP is an option for a network configuration, not a requirement.

>From the qemu manual.

peter@joule:/home/peter/MY$ man qemu-system-i386 | grep DHCP
               Specifies the client hostname reported by the built-in DHCP
               Specify the first of the 16 IPs the built-in DHCP server can
               in DHCP server. More than one domain suffix can be transmitted
               Specifies the client domain name reported by the built-in DHCP
               (default first address given by the built-in DHCP server). By
peter@joule:/home/peter/MY$ man qemu-system-i386 | grep dhcp
           dhcpstart=addr

There's no mention of shutting off the built-in DHCP server.
Maybe a specific ip address shuts it off.

qemu-system-i386 \
 -nic user,model=ne2k_pci,ipv6=off,id=qemunic,net=10.0.2.2/24 \

Qemu works.  The options aren't catastrophic.

> If you don't like guest OS to be configured by DHCP, you're welcome to
> use /e/n/i snippet that I referenced in my previous e-mail.

I added this stanza to /e/n/i .

# An interface for subnet to qemu guest.
auto qemunic
allow-hotplug qemunic
iface qemunic inet static
       address 10.0.2.1
       netmask 255.255.255.0

root@joule:~# /etc/init.d/networking restart
Restarting networking (via systemctl): networking.serviceJob for networking.serv
ice failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
 failed!

> Ok, but surely it's a little problem to replace "eth0" with
> "enx<gibberish>", isn't it?

The qemu -nic option above has "id=qemunic" and the stanza above
has qemunic.  Nevertheless, host networking isn't happy with it.

" -nic tap, ..." might be a better bet than " -nic user, ...".

Other tips?

Thanks,                            ... P.

--
cell: +1 236 464 1479            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca
VoIP: +1 604 670 0140