Re: Network connection of a qemu guest.

	Hi.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 07:25:30AM -0800, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> All the QEMU documentation I've found focusses on DHCP. Imagine the
> guest system tries to set a static address and QEMU offers DHCP. Seems
> unlikely to succeed.

DHCP is an option for a network configuration, not a requirement.
If you don't like guest OS to be configured by DHCP, you're welcome to
use /e/n/i snippet that I referenced in my previous e-mail.

> Should be a way to configure qemu to provide a
> subnet to the guest on an interface with a static address.  (?)

Please clarify. Where exactly you need a static address to be
configured? At the guest OS's NIC? At the QEMU's emulated gateway?
Elsewhere?

> > Of course, as it's not a point-to-point connection.
>
> Yes, but a stanza in /etc/network/interfaces refers to an interface
> name. The Debian 10 here for example, includes interface
> enx0050b60be9be which is used for a subnet.

Ok, but surely it's a little problem to replace "eth0" with
"enx<gibberish>", isn't it?

> To make a valid stanza for the qemu guest an interface name is
> essential.

I agree.

> Either qemu must invent a name

It's definitely does not work this way. QEMU has no way to specify an
exact name for the guest OS.

> or the qemu configuration will have to specify it.

Nope. QEMU's job is to run unmodified guest OS, no more and no less.
Specific OS implementation details (such as NIC names) are left to the
specific OS to handle.

> Another detail I haven't found in the documentation.

QEMU's documentation is an unsuitable place to describe OS-specific
implementation details. Try [1], chapter 4, instead.

Reco

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames