Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

* On 2021 10 Mar 07:20 -0600, Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:
> >   i wouldn't bother.  really it is just a huge waste of time
> > for no real gain.
> >
> >   the problem is that you are new to linux/unix type system
> > and so you don't understand the history or layout as it is.
> >
> >   learn what is there as it is.  you rarely need to work
> > outside /home/<username> for most things as a normal
> > user.  when i install a new system i like to have /home
> > in a different partition from the rest of the system.
> >
> >   as root you may need to understand more but it isn't
> > that often you should be having to do a whole lot of
> > changes once you have a stable install set up.
> >

> >   songbird
>
> Well, yes, as I said, my problem is quite trivial.
> I was just thinking it could be a little improvement.

As noted, either approach has positive and negative attributes.  For
Debian, the system is curated in such a way so that "dependency hell" is
minimized.  Problems can arise when one installs packages from outside
of the Debian packaging system.

One key thing to remember is that Debian is not a bug-for-bug replacement
for MS Windows, it is its own system.  May I suggest the Debian
Reference manual as a good starting point:

https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB