Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

On 03/10/2021 07:07 AM, songbird wrote:
Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:
While I was making my research before installing Debian
I saw that the filesystem hierarchy is not so friendly
(I'm new to GNU/Linux operating systems).
I saw there was a distribution called GoboLinux which
addressed that inconvenience, but according to a DistroWatch review,
it is not usable at all.

In my opinion, I think there would be no need to make another distro
to make such customizations to the system, it would be better
if it were implemented at a package level on an existing distro.

So, my question is: Is there a way to put another, more friendly,
filesystem hierarchy to Debian, like the one of GoboLinux?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

   i wouldn't bother.  really it is just a huge waste of time
for no real gain.

   the problem is that you are new to linux/unix type system
and so you don't understand the history or layout as it is.

   learn what is there as it is.  you rarely need to work
outside /home/<username> for most things as a normal
user.  when i install a new system i like to have /home
in a different partition from the rest of the system.

   as root you may need to understand more but it isn't
that often you should be having to do a whole lot of
changes once you have a stable install set up.

Think of it as a vocabulary shift when moving from one section of the country to another. I felt I had to learn a new language when moving from very urban New York to rural Missouri. You get used to it ;}