Re: Use motherboard video-out or GPU’s

On 2021-03-09 12:48, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> writes:

Now, should I connect the monitor to the motherboard video-out or
should I use GPU’s output? Suppose the OS (Debian GNU/Linux in this
case) is fully configured to utilize the GPUs i.e. drivers etc. are set up. Will the graphic system be able to utilize the GPUs irrespective of
where I have connected the monitor?

I am not an expert in Wayland, but X is able to utilize any GPU in any
number.  If it does not this automatically you have to manually
configure the server.  There are numerous guides on the internet.

Okay. So, this is possible. But my doubt remains. See below.

Last but not least - why many GPUs but one monitor? It makes no sense. It should use the one where the monitor is attached, but usually monitors have
more inputs, which you can utilize.

I’ll be using multiple monitors but my original doubt was this. If I am
not connecting a monitor to GPU output, will I not be utilizing its
power for (this) display?  Assuming, I have configured X to utilize all
the GPUs for number crunching. Should it make any difference where I am
connect the monitor? What will be the highest available resolution? Will
it depend on where I have connected?

you can use each output on each GPU for a separate monitor so 2 GPUs can have 4 monitors. I did it with 3 monitors faffing with the xorg.conf. Maybe now it just does it.
mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31