Re: Modem MACs and how ISPs view them, was Re: on the verge of …

On Tuesday, March 09, 2021 03:54:18 PM David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 09 Mar 2021 at 08:12:47 (-0500), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > I have DSL service, and a spare modem that I've occasionally put in
> > service (for testing the "main" modem) and have not had to notify the
> > ISP.  (They were both provided by the ISP (Earthlink).)
> >
> > I don't know if cable modems would work the same -- I don't know if the
> > ISP sees the MAC address on a DSL line.
>
> You may well have login authentication. Perhaps you have the
> credentials configured in the router, and forgotten that they're
> there.

Well, I know I have login authentication, and the credentials in one case are
in the router (the modem is in bridge mode or whatever the right term is), and
in the other case, the credentials are in the modem (which also does the
routing), with a switch downstream (to send Ethernet to 3 different parts of my
home).

But, I don't know (but don't think) that the ISP sees the MAC address of
either the modem in one case, or the router in the other case (or the modem in
"bridge mode").

But, my comment was only intended to be a data point, so unless someone knows
whether or not the MAC address is seen by the ISP, there is no need to follow
up on this (that I can see).