Re: Use motherboard video-out or GPU’s

Pankaj Jangid writes:

I have a confusion. Actually there are two. Please help me understand
this.

Suppose I have a good motherboard with two GPUs installed in the PCIe
slots. Now, should I connect the monitor to the motherboard video-out or
should I use GPU’s output? Suppose the OS (Debian GNU/Linux in this
case) is fully configured to utilize the GPUs i.e. drivers etc. are set
up. Will the graphic system be able to utilize the GPUs irrespective of
where I have connected the monitor?

Connect the monitors to the GPU/cards you want to use. Otherwise, it is most likely that graphics output will be computed by a processor-integrated graphics unit (if present, otherwise black screen).

Here are the two special cases that immediately come to mind:

* It is possible to utilize GPUs that are not connected to screens for computation purposes (e.g. OpenCL/NVidia CUDA). Unless you are doing this all the time there is no reason against using them for video output, too :)

* In case of mobile devices there are some which can render on a different GPU than the monitor is connected to but for usual desktops this is not the case.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö

[...]